5.04.2016

REVIEW: Soundless by Richelle Mead



Hi again, everyone! I literally just finished (as in... fifteen minutes ago?) Soundless by Richelle Mead and I knew I needed to write this review straightaway so it would be authentic. Y'all... this book is great.

[I have a quick little spiel to give on how I'll write reviews on this blog, just so nobody is confused. First, I'll give the short story. This is for those readers who want to go into a book with little to no information about it, simply a general feel and reaction. Second, I'll give the long story. This is for those who want to really know what a book is about. I won't include any spoilers because come on, nobody likes a spoiler, but I will give a more detailed explanation and more of my thoughts.]

So without further ado...

The Short Story: 

This book is simple and magical. It reads like a classic fairytale and the romance is everything you could want in a YA Fantasy. The main female character is strong, intellectual, and passionate. This book is a great short stand-alone read for rainy daydreamy days.

The Long Story: 

Our main character, Fei, is an artist in a remote mountaintop village in which every inhabitant is deaf. This has been the case for her entire life and for generations before. But now the villagers are at risk of losing something else. Just as this tragedy is striking in fuller force, Fei wakes up able to hear. This is more important and vital to hers and her friends' lives than anyone could possibly imagine. It takes her on an epic journey to discover a whole bunch about her life and her town than she ever could have guessed.
This is the only book I've ever read in which the characters all speak sign language. It almost makes the book feel quieter somehow, and when Fei regains her hearing, the reader can gain the sounds of her village with her. The main male character, Li Wei, is also passionate, like Fei, but in a way that makes him reckless where she is more steady.
There is also a family element to this book that is very well done. Family is often less of a focus in YA but this book tells about close families, with their struggles and triumphs.
Magic abounds in this story; the entire book feels like you're waiting for something. The mysticality (is that a word? magicalness? I'm sure you know what I mean) is subtle. It does not overwhelm the plot or the characters but weaves flawlessly through the threads Richelle is writing.
I had very few problems with this book and the only one I can name without spoiling is the beginning was a little hard to get into. It was a little slow and I was confused, but when the plot really started to pick up, I couldn't put it down.
I highly recommend this book for those who like magic (which, in my opinion, should be everyone).

5/5 stars.

Let me know what you think of this style of review with the short and long stories! I'd really appreciate feedback, positive or negative.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment