6.30.2016

REVIEW: Princess Ever After by Rachel Hauck




Before you even have a chance to point it out, yes, I am "that girl." I read the cheesiest of the cheesy romance books and love every sickly sweet minute of it! That leads into this review quite nicely.

I picked up the first book in this series last year and couldn't put it back down again! Then I realized it was a series and I went crazy... and still put off the next one until about a year later. Not sure what's wrong with me; I have a problem. Oh well, this series is fantastically corny and great. Also, each book in the series can be read as a standalone (a feature I adore in a series like this) but there is some character overlap (think Anna and the French Kiss series). Let's just get on with it, shall we?





The Short Story:

If you like The Princess Diaries and classic cars, read this series. I know that sounds like a super weird recommendation, but it is spot on. If you like complicated relationships and lovely historical settings, read this series. If you like Christian values and inspiration, read this series. While it is not a huge plot point, Christianity does make an appearance as important in the lives of a few characters (and not so much in others). Give it a try for that super sweet and adorkable romance.

The Long Story:

Reggie Beswick is a law-partner turned car-restorer living in the American South and she loves her life. Pizza on Friday nights with her close friends and family, restoring her dream cars, and living a quiet existence. Then Tanner Burkhardt shows up and throws a wrench (HA, because mechanics) into any and every plan she ever had. He tells her she is the long-lost princess of a teeny tiny European country that is about to lose its chance for independence unless she comes back with him and becomes their monarch. And their story goes from there.
This is not the most complex or beautifully written book out there, but you'd be hard pressed to find a cuter romance or happier ending. The characters are not highly developed, but that is not (always) something that bothers me in a book. There is some development for sure, the characters aren't static, but for someone who is looking for deep characters, you won't find that here. And I think that's okay!
The story was very interesting though and I really enjoyed all the places it went within politics and relationships and royalty and what not. I was so intrigued by the "antagonist" figure and how he justified his actions. I like a good villain! 
Again, if you like Christian values in a book, this entire series is a great choice for you! The romance is classy and appropriate but still wonderful and sweet. There are good morals and questionable morals sprinkled throughout, as well as some divine intervention. I think this added a lot to the story and made it more rounded out.
Bottom line, this is an adult version of The Princess Diaries and, as a die-hard lover of that movie (no I haven't read the book, too bad), I HIGHLY recommend this book and this series. Please try it!

4.5/5 stars.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment